Overview of NCSET
The National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET)
was established to create opportunities
for youth with disabilities to achieve successful
futures. NCSET provides technical assistance
and disseminates information focused on four
major areas of national significance for youth
with disabilities and their families
- Providing students with disabilities with improved access and success in the secondary education curriculum.
- Ensuring that students achieve positive postschool results in accessing postsecondary education, meaningful employment, independent living and participation in all aspects of community life.
- Supporting student and family participation in educational and postschool decision making and planning.
- Improving collaboration and system linkages at all levels through the development of broad-based partnerships and networks at the national, state, and local levels.
NCSET is headquartered at the Institute on Community Integration, Minnesota's University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities at the University of Minnesota. NCSET was originally funded by the U.S. Department of Education's
Office of Special Education Programs from 2000-2008, during which time it partnered with six major organizations also focused on the secondary education and transition of youth with disabilities. NCSET continues its activities with support from the Institute on Community Integration.
NCSET focuses on the following activities
National Resource Coordination and Leadership. NCSET has developed a strategy to fully utilize the already existing research of other national, regional, and multi-state research, technical assistance, and information dissemination centers focused on secondary education and transition, and is making that information widely available and accessible nationwide.
Technical Assistance. NCSET engages in consultations with state and local groups and organizations, national teleconferences, capacity-building institutes and workshops, national summits, and the creation of national technical assistance networks of other researchers and technical assistance and dissemination centers. It also provides information and technical assistance to organizations across the nation. See more about NCSET technical assistance.
Information Dissemination. NCSET promotes the use of research-based practices and strategies through its publications specifically designed for national, state, and local educational administrators; teachers; parents; and youth with disabilities. This interactive Web site is also a major tool of NCSET to share and disseminate information. See more about NCSET publications.
NCSET is a valuable resource for anyone who is
- Looking for information and resources on secondary education and transition services.
- In need of information on a specific topic secondary education, postsecondary education, employment, service agencies, and other areas.
- Interested in learning about what other national and state organizations are doing to support youth with disabilities.
- Looking for a network of people who can assist state and local programs as they consider improvements in secondary education and transition services.
It is especially intended to assist the following organizations, agencies, and individuals
- State-level reform and systems change initiatives.
- Local education agencies and community-based programs.
- Workforce Development Agencies and initiatives.
- Youth with disabilities and their families.
- National networks of technical assistance and dissemination providers.
- Federal agencies and national organizations concerned with youth.
NCSET is headquartered at the Institute on Community Integration at the University of Minnesota. During its OSEP-funded years, NCSET partnered with six major organizations also focused on the secondary education and transition of youth with disabilities.
For Further Information
^ Top of Page ^
- National Center on Secondary Education and Transition
- Institute on Community Integration
- University of Minnesota
- 6 Pattee Hall, 150 Pillsbury Drive SE
- Minneapolis, MN 55455
- T. 612.624.2097
- F. 612.624.9344
- E. email@example.com
- W. http://www.ncset.org